1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup self raising flour
3/4 cup sour cream
2 cups dry shredded coconut
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (optional)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons water
1. Cream butter and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
2. Add flour and then sour cream, and mix on medium speed for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Use a wooden spoon to fold in the dry coconut and lemon zest. If the mixture is too difficult to stir, then use the electric mixer until a smooth batter is formed.
4. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease a small cake pan, either a loaf shaped pan or a round 6 inch diameter cake tin. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for about 25-30 minutes until the cake is light brown and a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry.
5. To make the syrup: Mix all the syrup ingredients in a pan on low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2-3 minutes before drizzling the syrup over the warm coconut cake.