1 cup margarine or butter
2 ounces (about 60 grams) semisweet chocolate
2 1/4 cups of sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
5 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup water (extra)
1. Make the brownies: Place a saucepan over low heat and melt the margarine and chocolates, stirring frequently. Use a wire whisk to beat in sugar, and eggs until well blended. Stir in the vanilla, salt and flour and blend well.
2. Preheat the oven to 170 C and line a metal baking pan with foil. If you are using all of the ingredients use a 13 by 9 inch metal baking tray or divide the batter among two 8 by 6 inch baking pans. And if you’re using half of the ingredients then use just one small baking pan.
3. Spread the brownie batter evenly in the pan. Bake for about 30-35 minutes and then cool the brownies on a wire rack.
4. Prepare praline topping: Place a saucepan over medium heat and melt the margarine and sugar. Allow the mixture to melt and bubble for about 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and use the whisk to beat in the remaining ingredients and the icing sugar. If the mixture looks to thick to spread, add the extra water and some more if necessary.
5. Spread the topping over the cooled brownies and sprinkle the pecans on top. Cut the brownies into little bite-sized pieces.